If you’re trying to decide upon that perfect gift, a weighted blanket might be just what you need. Weighted blankets are becoming more and more popular for ensuring a restful, comfortable night of sleep. Given the numerous benefits of these blankets, a weighted blanket gift is thoughtful, and likely to be appreciated.
- Why Weighted Blankets Make a Great Gift
- Who benefits most from a weighted blanket?
- Choosing a Weighted Blanket as a Gift
Why Weighted Blankets Make a Good Gift
Giving a weighted blanket as a gift is such a good choice, because just about anyone can benefit from having one. After all, everyone needs quality sleep to feel their best, and weighted blankets are intended to give users the best night of sleep possible.
A recent study of over 2,000 adults found that 38.2 percent of them suffered from poor sleep, with women being almost twice as likely as men to have sleeping difficulties. While this finding is unfortunate, what it reveals is that a large portion of adults would benefit from products that help them to get a better night’s sleep.
Beyond this, it is no secret that children can sometimes struggle with poor sleep. Most parents have stories of children keeping them awake at night, or rising before the sun comes up, so even little ones can benefit from a weighted blanket gift. Given the fact that children and adults alike can use a weighted blanket, you may consider a weighted blanket gift basket, to give an entire family the gift of good sleep.
Who benefits most from a weighted blanket?
While just about anyone can use a weighted blanket, some people may find a weighted blanket gift more useful than others. For example, studies show that weighted blankets can have a relaxing effect on the nervous system, making them useful for people who struggle with anxiety that keeps them tossing and turning at night.
The following groups of people may also find weighted blankets to be especially beneficial:
- Individuals who suffer from pain, such as from arthritis or fibromyalgia: Since weighted blankets provide deep touch pressure, which is similar to the feeling of being massaged, they can relieve pain for a more comfortable night of sleep.
- Those with conditions like ADHD or Autism: A recent study in the Scandinavian Journal of Occupational Therapy concluded that weighted blankets improved sleep for individuals with these conditions, as the blankets resulted in an improvement in the ability to fall asleep and stay asleep throughout the night.
- Children with emotional or behavioral conditions: The study in the Scandinavian Journal of Occupational Therapy mentioned above found that weighted blankets were helpful for both children and adults. If you have a loved one in your life whose child has a behavioral condition, like ADHD or autism, that can disrupt sleep, a weighted blanket gift can make their nights more peaceful.
- People with insomnia: For those with chronic insomnia, poor sleep is more than just an occasional annoyance; it is a frequent occurrence. Fortunately, weighted blanks have been shown to help those with insomnia to sleep longer at night and move around less during their sleep.
Choosing a Weighted Blanket as a Gift
Many people with different needs will find a weighted blanket to be useful. Once you decide to purchase a weighted blanket as a gift, there are some factors to consider when deciding upon a blanket. Check out our previous article on how to choose a weighted blanket for the full guide. Before you head off, consider a few key factors listed below:
- Budget: Weighted blankets range in price from around $100 and up, all the way to over $400, so you will have to determine what you can afford to spend, and choose one of the best gift blankets in your price range. If budget is a serious concern, you may consider making your own weighted blanket, which not only saves money, but may also be more meaningful to your recipient.
- Fabric: Weighted blankets are available in different types of fabrics, so you may need to consider the preferences of your recipient when choosing a weighted blanket as a gift. For instance, hot sleepers may prefer breathable cotton or a cooling bamboo weighted blanket, whereas those who prefer warmer fabrics may do better with a flannel or fleece weighted blanket.
- Weight: Experts at the Sleep Foundation recommend that a weighted blanket should be around 10 percent of a person’s body weight, so the best gift blankets for your purposes will depend upon the size of the person who is receiving the blanket. For instance, someone who weighs 150 pounds will likely find a 15 pound weighted blanket to be comfortable. However, there are some flexibility for those needing help with weighted blankets and choosing weight. Some people may do well with a weighted blanket that is as little as 5% of their body weight, whereas others can go all the way up to 12% of body weight and still feel comfortable. So it's best to check out our weight choosing guide.
An Aricove cooling weighted blanket can make an ideal weighted blanket Christmas gift or that perfect birthday present, as it is made from premium bamboo fabric, which is naturally soft and moisture-wicking for a comfortable night of sleep. Our blankets evenly distribute weight to ensure that they provide deep touch pressure for optimal benefits, and they are available in 5 lb versions for children aged two and up, as well as 10, 15, and 20 lb versions for adults. You can find a weighted blanket gift for just about anyone with our various sizes.